Crossboy National School, Crossboy townland, Co. Sligo

Crossboy National School, Crossboy townland, Co. Sligo

(dated late 19th century)

NGR: 177316, 329561

Crossboy National School, Co. Sligo

Crossboy National School is situated in the townland of Crossboy in the parish of Killerry near Lough Gill on the Sligo/Leitrim border. I passed this school house by chance and managed to take a few snaps before the rain came down. The building comprises a detached L-plan (extended to the rear from the original building at possibly a later date) single-storey structure located at the Crossboy junction.

Crossboy NS 2nd Edition OS

Much of the external surface of the building is overgrown with ivy and no name/date plaque could be found. Drawing on a comparison with other school houses of similar design, a late-19th/early-20th century construction date for this building is suggested here. There are two entrances to the front of the school house, and two corresponding gateways in the boundary wall with stepped approaches to the building – like many of the school houses of this date, these are probably segregated entrances for boys and girls. Internally, the building comprises two classrooms separated by a partition wall. At the time of my visit the later extension was inaccessible. Continue reading Crossboy National School, Crossboy townland, Co. Sligo

Carrigeencor National School, Carrigeencor townland, Co. Leitrim

Carrigeencor National School, Carrigeencor townland, Co. Leitrim

(dated 1872)

NGR: 184325, 333970

111ADSC01211

Carrigeencor National School is located in the townland of Carrigeencor in Co. Leitrim. The surrounding landscape comprises rural blanket bog with a sparse population. Nonetheless, Carrigeencor is one of two school houses located in the area, the other being Kilcoosey National School just 1.5 km away. Leitrim has suffered from rural depopulation more than most counties and today it is difficult to imagine that this area once required two schools.

Carrigeencor Ns 2nd Ed OS

The school house comprises a detached single-storey one room building with a lower projecting pitched-roof gable porch, and a rear extension with a lean-to roof. It has a pitched roof and the walls are rendered and scored to imitate cut-stone blocks. It was constructed in 1872. There is a low coarsely built rubble and mortar wall to the front with a wrought-iron gate. To the rear is the former toilet block. It is a simple stone and mortar construction with brick lintels over the doorways and a sheet-metal roof that has managed to stand the test of time. Continue reading Carrigeencor National School, Carrigeencor townland, Co. Leitrim

Ballykinealy/Kilmacdonogh National School, Ballykinealy townland, Co. Cork

Ballykinealy/Kilmacdonogh National School, Ballykinealy townland, Co. Cork

(dated 1930)

NGR: 205929, 070231

Ballykinealy National School, Co. Cork

Ballykinealy/Kilmacdonogh national school is situated in the rural East Cork townland of Ballykinealy. The surrounding landscape comprises rolling rich farmland with deep soils, and the area has a strong tradition of both tillage farming and animal husbandry.

Kilmacdonagh-Ballykinealy National School, Co. Cork

The school building itself comprises a detached five-bay single-storey former national school, built c.1930, having single-bay gabled porch to front (south) elevation and single-bay flat-roofed extension to rear (north) elevation. It has a pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks to gables. There are roughcast rendered walls with smooth render plinth, and a cut stone name plaque to east gable. Also included are square-headed window openings throughout, with timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to front and rear elevations and gables, two-over-two pane to porch and extension. There are square-headed openings to porch and extension with timber battened doors (probably original). Surrounding the building is a rubble stone boundary wall to the north, and a rendered boundary wall with stile to east. Continue reading Ballykinealy/Kilmacdonogh National School, Ballykinealy townland, Co. Cork

Ballynacourty National School, Ballynacourty townland, Co. Waterford

Ballynacourty National School, Ballynacourty townland, Co. Waterford

(dated 1885)

NGR: 229596, 092581

Ballynacourty 2nd Edition

Ballynacourty National School is situated just a few miles outside the seaside town of Dungarvan in Co. Waterford. The school lies in the townland of Ballynacourty, just a few hundred metres from the shore with the former Coast Guard Station lying to the southwest. During the early part of the 20th century, a row of terraced houses lined the nearby pier, and undoubtedly the local children who lived there attended Ballynacourty school. In 1937 the Irish Folklore Commission, in collaboration with the Department of Education and the Irish National Teachers’ Organisation, initiated a revolutionary scheme in which schoolchildren were encouraged to collect and document folklore and local history. At this time, the Irish language was considerably stronger in the area and entries for Ballynacourty (recorded as Baile na Cúirte, Dúngarbhán – the school master being Muiris Breannóc) were in both the Irish and English language:

Ballynacourty Folklore

Continue reading Ballynacourty National School, Ballynacourty townland, Co. Waterford

Affane/Sluggara National School, Sluggara townland, Co. Waterford

Affane/Sluggara National School, Sluggara townland, Co. Waterford

(dated 1914)

NGR: 212065, 98137

Affane/Sluggara National School, Co. Waterford

Affane/Sluggara National School is situated in the townland of Sluggara just east of the Blackwater River in Co. Waterford, not far from the N72 national route, and just southeast of the village of Cappoquin. Today this small village straddles Bóthar an Mhachaire and comprises little more than a church, the former school house, and the ruins of the former school masters house on. At the time of the 1911 census in Ireland, just five families are recorded living in the townland. Providing further social and historical context to the National School is Affane House situated nearby. It was the property of Samuel J. Power in 1906 and valued at £32. Brady notes that the house incorporates material from the late seventeenth century house owned by the Greatrakes famly.

ADSC00759

The school building remains in use today as a parish hall, and comprises a detached four-bay single-storey national school, dated 1914, on a T-shaped plan retaining original fenestration with two-bay single-storey gabled projecting lower shared porch to centre. It has a pitched slate roof on a T-shaped plan with red clay ridge tiles, red brick running bond chimney stacks, cut-stone coping to gables, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber corbels. There are unpainted rendered walls with cut-limestone corbels supporting gables, and cut-stone date stone/plaque. The windows are square-headed openings with cut-stone sills, and 6/9 timber sash windows. There are square-headed door openings with tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors. The building is set back from road in its own grounds with a random rubble stone boundary with lime mortar, and red brick quoins to the ends, cut-stone coping, and rubble stone piers with wrought iron gate. To the rear, a high dividing wall runs down the centre of the schoolyard segregating boys and girls. Continue reading Affane/Sluggara National School, Sluggara townland, Co. Waterford

Kilcoona National School, Mausrevagh townland, Co. Galway

Kilcoona National School, Mausrevagh townland, Co. Galway

(dated early 20th century)

NGR: 130804, 244174

Kilcoona National School, Kilcoona townland, Co. Galway

Kilcoona National School is situated in the townland of Mausrevagh in Co. Galway. The surrounding landscape comprises rolling improved farmland on shallow soils over limestone. Turloughs and other features of a karst landscape are common here, along with archaeological evidence for human settlement since at least the Bronze Age. During the Early Modern period the surrounding area supported a rural population, with the nearest significant town being Headford, about 5 km to the north. Travel between Headford and Galway City was by Kilcoona until the mid-19th century when the Curragh Line was constructed through the bog lands to the east of Lough Corrib.

The school building itself is a simple design, typical of late 19th and early 20th century school houses. It is a detached, eight-bay, single storey, two-roomed school house with a projecting entrance porch to the front, and probably dates to the late 19th or early 20th century. It has not been in use as a school building since the late 1980s but remains in a fair state of preservation. It is currently being used for storage.

2IMG_20140921_141041

Continue reading Kilcoona National School, Mausrevagh townland, Co. Galway

Drumbonniv National School, Drumbonniv townland, Co. Clare

Drumbonniv National School, Drumbonniv townland, Co. Clare

(dated 1890)

NGR: 140469, 183557

Drumbonniv National School Co. Clare

The townland of Drumbonniv (sometimes spelled Drumbaniff) is situated in the parish of Crusheen in Co. Clare, not far from the towns of Gort and Ennis. It is a quiet, rural area which suffered from rural depopulation until recent years – in winter it can a particularly damp and cold landscape. The bare and harsh land is on the fringes of the Burren, with shallow soils and frequent limestone outcrop and hazel scrub. Small trees and shrubs that today encroach on the school house today provide some shelter from the elements.

The building that stands today dates to 1890 and comprises a detached, three-bay single storey, single classroom school house with a projecting entrance porch. It has a pitched roof with brickwork chimney stacks and plaster rendering. The plaster rendering is scored to give the impression that the building is constructed of cut-stone blocks. The walls are rubble built with the original sash windows still in place. A hole in the ceiling reveals the lattice and plaster-work construction in the roof – typical of school houses of this time.

ADSC00649

Although much of the interior remains in a relatively good state of preservation, a large hole has recently been knocked in the gable end of the building to allow large machinery into the building. To the rear of the school stand the remnants of a stone built toilet block, now collapsed.

ADSC00676

Continue reading Drumbonniv National School, Drumbonniv townland, Co. Clare

Clashmore-Coolbooa National School, Coolbooa townland, Co. Waterford

Clashmore-Coolbooa National School, Coolbooa townland, Co. Waterford

(dated 1887)

NGR: 212828, 84234

ADSC00719

Coolbooa-Clashmore National School in Co. Waterford comprises an attached three-bay single-storey Tudor-style national school, dated 1887, possibly originally detached on a T-shaped plan retaining some early fenestration with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting lower porch to centre, two-bay single-storey side elevation to north-east, and single-bay two-storey lower return to south-east. Part refenestrated, c.1965. It has pitched slate roofs on a T-shaped plan (gabled to porch) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, gabled lucarnes having louvered panel fittings, rendered bargeboards to porch, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. The structure comprises painted rendered walls over random rubble stone construction with an inscribed plaque to gable to porch, rendered date stone to gable to side (north-east) elevation having moulded surround, and some sections of exposed random rubble stone construction.

2DSC00731

There are a number of triangular-headed window openings with rendered sills (some without sills), and rendered hood mouldings on decorative drops. Replacement aluminium casement widows were added c.1965, to front (north-west) elevation retaining early fixed-pane timber windows to remainder. Triangular-headed door opening with rendered hood moulding over on decorative drops, replacement timber panelled double doors, c.1965, and overlight. Set back from line of road on elevated base with painted rendered wall over random rubble stone construction, rendered coping, hoop iron railings over, and painted rendered piers to left with rendered capping, and hoop iron double gates. Continue reading Clashmore-Coolbooa National School, Coolbooa townland, Co. Waterford

Carrowcrory National School, Carrowcrory townland, Co. Sligo

Carrowcrory National School, Corrowcrory townland, Co. Sligo

(dated c.1955)

NGR: 173274, 308836

Carrowcrory National School, Co. Sligo

Carrowcrory National School is situated in the shadow of the Caves of Kesh in the townland of Carrowcrory in Co. Sligo. To the east lie the Bricklieve Mountains, Lough Key and Lough Arrow. The tall water-tower to the rear of the school building makes it identifiable from a distance in this beautiful landscape. According to cartographic sources, there has been a national school on this site since at least the time of the Second Edition Ordnance Survey in the late 1800s; although no trace of the earlier school house remains here today. At the time of this buildings construction in the mid-50s, it was provided with all modern amenities: a playing field and concrete play place, play shelter, toilets, cloakroom accommodation and a water tower. It’s design is typical of national schools built at this time but with architectural oddities including ocular windows to the rear and the inclusion of a water-tower next to the shelter in the former rear schoolyard.

2IMG_20140716_145234_1

Internally, many of the original 1950s fixtures and fittings remain including the original doors. This building is in an excellent state of preservation and is currently being renovated.

2IMG_20140716_144749_1

If you or someone you know attended this national school, please do get in touch and share any stories, anecdotes, photographs, or any other memories you may have.

Brooklawn National School, Fartamore townland, Co. Galway

Brooklawn National School, Fartamore townland, Co. Galway

(dated 1885)

NGR:138889, 259222

ADSC00483

In 1937 Margaret Dunne, (then only a school girl at Brooklawn NS) wrote of her local district: ‘All those old people can speak the Irish language… …a good deal of people went to America… …each farmer has only nine or ten acres.’ Brooklawn National School is situated in the townland of Fartamore in the parish of Kilconly in east County Galway. It is now derelict but in relatively good condition (although recently a large hole has been knocked in the rear wall). The place-name Fartamore means ‘great/big grave’. Like so many of the disused school buildings that punctuate the rural Irish landscape, Brooklawn represents a time now past when there was a need to provide easily accessible local education for the children of a rural farming population. Today its empty, collapsing shell also poignantly reflects social change and the impact of rural depopulation and migration to the larger urban centres in Ireland – the movement away from the land and farming.

ADSC00471

Continue reading Brooklawn National School, Fartamore townland, Co. Galway

Disused School Houses of Ireland