Category Archives: Co. Tipperary

Saint Patrick’s National School, Gortatooda townland, Tipperary North

Saint Patrick’s National School, Gortatooda townland, Tipperary North

(dated c.1955)

NGR: 198741, 161486

Saint Patrick's National School, Gortatooda townland, Tipperary North

Saint Patrick’s National School is situated in the rural North Tipperary village of Upperchurch. The complex includes the school building, playground shelter and outdoor toilet block. Its design represents the quintessential 1950s style national school in Ireland – simple in form and filling primarily a functional role. Many of the fixtures and fittings appear original. Though this building dates to the 1950s, an earlier school house was present in the centre of the village, as indicated on the First Edition Ordnance Survey sheet for the area. The school building documented here fell out of use in the 1980s – in September 1984 Scoil Ioasgáin officially opened nearby in the village. At this time three local schools amalgamated together to form Upperchurch Central NS.

Upperchurch National School Co. Tipperary 1st Edition OS

The school building comprises a detached six-bay double-height national school with a four-bay single-storey flat-roofed block to the rear, flanked by flat-roofed porches at the gable ends with concrete canopies over doors to the side. It has a sprocketed slate roof with roughcast rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods.

Saint Patrick's National School, Gortatooda townland, Upperchurch, Tipperary North

The exterior of the building has a roughcast render with rendered plinth and a slate date plaque. The windows are square-headed with six-over-six pane timber sash windows and concrete sills. The timber battened doors are original.

St Patrick's National School, Upperchurch, North Tipperary

St. Patrick's National School, Upperchurch, Tipperary North

Continue reading Saint Patrick’s National School, Gortatooda townland, Tipperary North

Garrycloher National School, Clonmore South townland, Tipperary South

Garrycloher National School, Clonmore South townland, Tipperary South

(dated c.1840)

NGR: 202737, 122441

Garrycloher National School, Clonmore South, Co. Tipperary

This is a typical example of a particularly attractive 19th-century rural school building. The entrance doorways on either side of the projecting entrance gave separate access to boys and girls. The masonry is of good quality and the windows, though renewed, echo the former type. Like so many such schools, this building served a functional role but would also have been a focal point for the surrounding hinterland.

The building comprises a detached T-plan gable-fronted single-storey school, built c.1840, with recent extension to rear. It has a hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. The walls are constructed of dressed limestone except to the rear rear,which comprises coursed rubble with dressed limestone quoins. The surrounding boundary wall includes a wrought-iron double-leaf gate set to dressed limestone gate piers with caps.

Garrycloher National School - Schoolmaster's House, Clonmore South, Co

Continue reading Garrycloher National School, Clonmore South townland, Tipperary South